Bread and Butter Pickles (Lacto Fermentation)
Yields 1 Quart Prep Time is 10 minutes Ferment time is 3 days
3 medium cucumbers, ends trimmed 1/4 cup of Basic Whey
1 TB pickling spice 2 TB raw apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp. celery seed 3/4 cup water, plus additional as needed
1/2 cup maple syrup or raw honey
Basic Whey: Pour active cultured plain yogurt into a colander lined with 90 thread count cheese cloth and drain off the whey which is the sorta cloudy watery liquid that drips from the yogurt. Can take all day unless you hang the bag from something and let gravity help speed up the process. Gently squeezing the cheesecloth also speeds things along.
- soak cucumbers in ice cold water for 30 minutes, unless they have been freshly picked.
- Slice cucumbers into 3/8 inch slices. Pack into a wide mouth quart jar or other fermenting container.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix pickling spice, celery see, maple syrup or honey, whey, and apple cider vinegar until honey is dissolved completely. Pour mixture over cucumber slices inn the jar.
- Add water to within 1” of the jar rim. Put a regular mouth lid on top of cucumbers to hold everything below the brine. Cover jar tightly with lid or airlock.
- Leave at room temperature for 3-4 days. Transfer to cool storage
Normally adding raw vinegar to a ferment is a no no to avoid introducing competing acetic acid producing organisms. However, a small amount of raw vinegar does not have a detrimental effect on some lactic acid fermentations.
Also, after having tried this recipe a few times I like a bit more sweetener.